Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Jon Kisker, Scholarship Recipient

Grandpa Dan, Jon and Grandma Carolyn
Dan and Carolyn Tuchenhagen are associate members of Mountain View Lutheran Church who return to their home in Grand Island, Nebraska during the summer.  They are actively involved at MVLC, serving on various committees.  They recommended their grandson, Jonathan Kisker to the Scholarship Committee in 2016 when he began his studies at Concordia University, Seward, Nebraska.

Jon grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he attended Messiah Lutheran School and Lincoln Lutheran Junior/Senior High School.  He was active in his church youth program, attending several regional and national youth gatherings.

Jon and President Brian Friedrich
At Concordia, Jon has been involved in various co-curricular activities:

  • student manager for the Instructional Technology Center
  • sound manager for the Theater Department
  • stage crew, set design and construction volunteer for the Theater Department
  • sound board volunteer for chapel and praise events on the campus
He writes in his most recent personal statement:  "I have studied at Concordia for two and a half years.  I have been able to see how I want to go into Education with my further education.  I am loving my classes here at Concordia.  I am especially fond of the History classes and how deep the classes can get.  I have learned more about my faith and about education as a discipline to help prepare me even more for my future as a Lutheran Educator."

Jon recently completed his junior year at CUNE.  He summarized the year with this statement:  "I have had a great ending of the school year. All of my classes went well. I was able to give a little poster presentation at the Nebraska GIS/LIS conference along with my geography class. Attached are the photos of me with poster. I did it about the LCMS. I mapped all of the LCMS Churches and Schools and based them on founding dates of the church or school."



Jon's career goal is to teach history or social studies in a Lutheran middle or high school program.  He will graduate from Concordia in the Spring of 2020.  The MVLC Scholarship Program has helped him achieve his goal of one day serving in the teaching ministry.



No comments:

Post a Comment